collecte section Bourgogne

https://www.helloasso.com/associations/association-france-lyme/collectes/section-bourgogne

My journey with Lyme Disease

From Minnesota: First person account of somebody who used both traditional and alternative medicine to deal with Lyme disease and other problems.


My journey with Lyme Disease
Traditional and alternative treatments were my choice
By Britta Bloomquist
HTF Contributor
Americans have seemed to have drawn a fine line between Western Medicine and alternative treatments. At one point in my life, I seemed to hover on one side of that line. I thought medicine was the cure all, even as I watched it not always help me.
It has been two years since Hometown Focus editor Jean Cole wrote the story, “The Many Faces of Lyme Disease,” in which my story was featured. At the young age of 22, I was definitely still figuring life out as I was struggling with Lyme Disease. I had been angered by the medical system time and time again and was so bitter that I vowed I would never see a medical doctor again!
Part of growing up and even life itself is about figuring out what we want to be and what we need in life. I had spent 10 plus years of my life seeing doctor after doctor who were unsure of what was wrong with me. Then, I finally found two local doctors who figured out what was wrong, to only have a few months of care and later the treatment pulled out from under my feet. The ending of that antibiotic treatment burnt the rest of my spark out. I wasn’t really sure what to do, as treating Lyme Disease is a huge political controversy. Insurance companies angry at doctors who just want to treat their patients. Dollar signs seen as patients look to pay out of pocket or even alternatively.
In the spring of 2010, I was lead down a new path called classical homeopathy. It was a blessing in disguise, even after a few friends had pushed me to try homeopathy for years when I was still stuck in the nothing but medicine rut. Homeopathy is a form a alternative medicine, where “like cures like.” The ironic aspect of my fury against the medical community is that many doctors see homeopathy as a “quack” treatment. I can tell you, it is not, as it has helped me and many other people I know recover from simple acute problems all the way to help eliminate many troublesome symptoms.
That following year was when I vowed to not step back into the realms of insurance companies and medical doctors again. My thoughts changed on that later on, but in the meantime, I did some major healing in my mind, body, and soul. Homeopathy helped me piece my body back together, but it wasn’t the only thing that kept me going. I also started taking supplements, everything from liquid raw cod liver oil to Vitamin D-3. At times it seemed expensive, but I realized when I skimped on the things that made me better, I usually became more symptomatic.
About a year ago I turned to another form of alternative therapy, massage. I now see a massage therapist about every four to six weeks. The relaxing hour, of little to no thoughts sure is nice, but my muscles and joints receive the most benefit from the manipulation. That too seems like just a spendy way to relax, but it is has so many other benefits.
While all this time was passing and I was getting healthier, I still was having issues with my joints. The homeopathy and supplements were helping eradicate many of my troublesome neurologic issues that stemmed from the Lyme bacteria entering my brain. I started eating gluten-free which also made me feel a lot better, as I had developed an intolerance, but I just couldn’t do enough exercises or stretches to heal my joints.
In November of 2011, I made my reentrance into the Western medicine club. I sought out the care of a rheumatologist who referred me to an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon. After a successful surgery on my left foot in 2007, I decided it was time to fix my ever-challenging right foot. Not only did I step back into the type of care I thought I would never lean on again, I took the plunge and had some pretty extensive foot surgery this last May.
As I think back on all the challenging and trying times of the past 12-some years, I can finally look into the future and see me using alternative therapies paralleled with Western medicine. Despite having a few troublesome joints still, mainly my knees and a shoulder, and few other unsolved issues that may or may not be related to my Lyme Disease...I can finally say, this is the healthiest I have been in years and it feels great!
Britta Bloomquist lives in Virginia, MN, and works
at Natural Harvest Food Co-op as a Marketing and
Member Services Coordinator.